Kareri Lake Trek
A Great Short Trek In Himachal Pradesh
Kareri Lake which is also known as ‘Kumarwah Lake’ is a great short trek in Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh. Perched at an altitude of 2,950 meters towards the south of Dhauladhar range and 9 km to Dharamshala’s north. Melting snow of Dhauladhar is the source of Kareri Lake. This lake is surrounded by dense forests with abundant conifer trees.
A Must Do Trek For Nature Lovers and Birdwatchers
Kareri is a must do trek for nature Nature Lovers, it remains frozen in winters and attracts trekkers across the globe every year. Pass through green wide meadows and cross several small rivulets and come across charming shepherd huts on the way.
The forests are a home to a number of birds. Here, spot a variety of Himalayan birds at your campsites.
A Variety of Terrain
You will be trekking on a variety of terrain, there are straight trails, river cross them many times so enjoy crossing these rivulets on the way. Pass through wooden bridges and traverse steep sections. Reach the Lake and spend a night there in the vicinity.
Key Points of Kareri Lake Trek
- Level: Easy
- Proper conditioning & training of body required
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature.
- Shoes are the single most important equipment.
- High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
- Only BSNL networks are there.
- Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup
- Travel light
- The backpack should not exceed 10 kg.
Must Read about Kareri Lake Trek:-
Trek Fee:Rs 4000 (Includes GST and all costs of the Trek from Dharamshala to Dharamshala)
Duration: 3 Days
Temperature: (5°C to 8°C)-(0°C to -5°C)
Altitude: (9,650 feet)
Best Time:Throughout the year
- Review 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level
- Group Size Large Group
Day 01- Dharamshala (4750 feet) to Kareri village (5900 feet) (25 km) (2 hours) and trek to Liyoti village (8000 feet) (6 km) (4/5 hours)
Day 02- Liyoti village to Kareri Lake (9650 feet) (7 km) (4/5 hours)
Day 03- Kareri Lake to Kareri village (13 km) (5/6 hours) and drive to Dharamshala (25 km) (2 hours)
✅ Transport facility from Dharamshala to Dharamshala
✅ Forest Permit and entrance fee
✅ Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
✅ All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
✅ (All camping gears)
✅ High quality tents
✅ Sleeping bags
✅ Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
✅ Dining Tent
✅ Dining Table
✅ Kitchen team
✅ Radio Walkie Talkie for Communication
✅ Good Experience Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
✅ Medical Kit
✅ Oxygen Cylinders
✅ Crampons and Gaiters
❌ Personal Insurance
❌ Medical Certificate
❌ Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
❌ On first day En Route to base camp the Breakfast and Lunch are Not Included
❌ Last Day En Route Lunch and Dinner are Not Included
Full payment confirms your booking
We serve three meals a day including snacks and soup. A variety of delectable and healthy food is provided which includes; Indian, Chinese and other Western meals. They are nutritious and keeps you fit and healthy on your trek.
Dharamshala (4750 feet) to Kareri village (5900 feet) (25 km) (2 hours) and trek to Liyoti village (8000 feet) (6 km) (4/5 hours)
The vehicle will be arranged from Dharamshala bus stand, meet there and depart to Kareri village, reaching there would take approximately 2 hours.
Start your trek from here and head towards Liyoti village. The distance is 6 km and it is through the dense forests and open grasslands.
Reach there in 4 to 5 hours, have food and the camping will be beside a river.
Liyoti village to Kareri Lake (9,650 feet) (7 km) (4/5 hours)
Today, you will be moving to Kareri Lake which is at an altitude of 10,800 feet. Post breakfast start the trek and get ready for sheer ascents. Go through the forests of Oaks, Pines and blossoming Rhododendrons trees on the trail.
Enjoy river crossing several times and walking along the river. After crossing the steep parts, reach the lakeside. The Dhauladhar range is clearly visible from there with exotic views of snow covered peaks.
You will be camping here tonight in the serene aura. Pitch your tents, gaze at the beauty, have delicious food and retire for the night.
Kareri Lake to Kareri village (13 km) (5/6 hours) and drive to Dharamshala (25 km) (2 hours)
Wake up early, have breakfast and explore the beautiful surroundings. Descent to Kareri village, descending will take 5/6 hours.
Reach the village and get back to Dharamshala in the arranged vehicle.
Please carry the documents given below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker)
- Risk Certificates
Trekkers must bring :
- Strongly built hiking shoes, if you do not own a pair you can rent it from Sankri.
- Sandals or slippers to wear in campsite
- Thick woollen socks, it will keep your feet warm
- Daily wear socks
- Thermals are very important
- 1 shirt, it should be long sleeved
- Shirts and pants for campsite, should be warm
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- Thick gloves
- Trek pants
- Cap and Balaclava (or a scarf)
- Sun glasses
- Sun tan lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletry items
ATM Point & Mobile connectivity:-
Rampur is the last ATM point
Airtel and BSNL signals are available till Kafnu. The signal strength will be intermittent. So, finish all your important work and calls before the trek.
Trekking demands a good investment and this extremely expensive activity is the passion of many, so we have a great announcement to make which will be a great relief to your pockets. Now get your Trek Gear on Rent and all you have to do is make a special renting request while booking your trek. That’s it! We have kept it simple for you.
We carry first aid kits but it’s necessary to carry a personal medical kit.
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (it cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (cures headache)
– Avomine – (prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (it treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (for sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/elastic bandage
– Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor in case you face any problem in your trek, take advice from Professional guide before taking any medicine.
– Drinking water is necessary during your trek, keep 1 litre of water bottle filled and drink it on proper interval of time, it is very important while hiking.
- Make your booking one or two months prior in advance. If you cancel the trek due to any reason, it is mandatory to notify us. Cancellation charges will only be effective from the date we get your request to cancel the trek.
- If the trek gets cancelled from our side due to natural disaster,rainfall, heavy snowfall or any other reason then the refund will not be initiated but we will arrange another trek.
(Bank charges deducted are not Refundable)
- Up to 30 Days – 90% cost is Refundable
- Between 21 to 30 Days – 50% cost is Refundable
- Less than 20 Days – No Refund
(Refund is initiated within 7-8 business days)