Trek to The Exotic Valley of Stones
The Trek lies on right side of the Pindar valley and the gradient is difficult when compared to Pindari Glacier trek and Kafni Glacier trek. Meaning of Sunderdhunga is; Sunder ‘Beautiful’ Dunga ‘Valley of Stones’.
The journey on this trek is from River Sunderdhunga to Maiktoli Base Camp.
Sunderdhunga Valley and Maiktoli Base Camp Trek
Explore the valley and two other glaciers Maiktoli and Sukhram. They are the attention seekers Sunderdhunga Valley Trek. The scenic vistas are unmatched and they are incomplete without the exotic sight of Maiktoli, Pawali Dwar, Tharkot and Mrigthuni. It is also known as Maiktoli Base Camp Trek.
Get Unforgettable Experiences
Lying in the Kumaon Himalayan region the trail passes through some quaint Himalayan villages named – Jatoli and Kathaliya. Enter the Sunderdhunga Valley by crossing the Pindar River.
Trek along gushing rivulets; cross wide valleys, dense forests and glaciers. Get unforgettable experiences and build memories.
Key Points of Sunderdhunga Trek
- Level: Difficult
- Proper conditioning & training of body required
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature
- Shoes are the single most important equipment.
- High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
- Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup
- Travel light
- The backpack should not exceed 10 kg.
Must Read about Sunderdhunga Trek
Trek Fee:Rs 15000 (Includes GST and all costs of the Trek from Kathgodam to Kathgodam)
Duration: 8 Days
Temperature: (10°C to 15°C)
Altitude: (12,628 feet)
Best Time:April, May, Sep, Oct and Nov
- Review 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level
- Group Size Large Group
Day 1: Kathgodam to Loharkhet (5775 feet) via Bageshwar and trek to Kharkhiya
Day 2: Kharkhiya to Jatoli (8000 feet) via Khati
Day 3: Jatoli to Dudiadhong (9000 feet) Trek to Kathaliya (10520 feet)
Day 4: Kathaliya to Baluni Top (12513 feet) and back
Day 5: Kathaliya to Maiktoli Base Camp (12,628 feet) and back
Day 6: Kathaliya to Jatoli
Day 7: Jatoli to Kharkiya
Day 8: Kharkiya to Kathgodam via Loharkhet
✅ Transport facility from Kathgodam to Kathgodam
✅ Forest Permit and entrance fee
✅ Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
✅ All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
✅ (All camping gears)
✅ High quality tents
✅ Sleeping bags
✅ Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
✅ Dining Tent
✅ Dining Table
✅ Kitchen team
✅ Radio Walkie Talkie for Communication
✅ Good Experience Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
✅ Medical Kit
✅ Oxygen Cylinders
✅ Crampons and Gaiters
❌ Personal Insurance
❌Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
❌On first day En Route to base camp the Breakfast and Lunch are Not Included
❌Last Day En Route Lunch and Dinner are Not Included
Full payment confirms your booking
We serve three meals a day including snacks and soup. A variety of delectable and healthy food is provided which includes; Indian, Chinese and other Western meals. They are nutritious and keeps you fit and healthy on your trek.
Kathgodam to Loharkhet (5775 feet) via Bageshwar and trek to Kharkhiya
Reach Kathgodam on your own, the vehicle will be arranged from Kathgodam Railway Station and the departure time is 6:30 am. The drive is towards Loharkhet via Bageshwar.
Bageshwar is located at the confluence of River Gomati, Saryu and Bhagirathi. Further is Loharkhet; a small settlement on the banks of River Saryu.
Travel ahead to Kharkhiya, reach there setup your camps. Have food and retire for the night.
Kharkhiya to Jatoli (8000 feet) via Khati
Start the Sunderdhunga trek today, go through the dense forests of Rhododendrons and Oaks. Today, come across many streams on the way and enjoy crossing them.
Reach Khati, it is the biggest village which lies on the way to Pindari. Now, the trail splits in two parts; take the right and pass through the village and ahead cross the forested section.
Reach a ridge and below witness Pindari River. Cross a stream over a bridge and walk along the banks of Sunderdhunga stream. Ascend gradually and further a narrow valley welcomes you. Cross another river over a wooden bridge and now the easy hike begins.
After covering 8 km distance, reach Jatoli village and enjoy your overnight stay here.
Jatoli to Dudiadhong (9000 feet) Trek to Kathaliya (10520 feet)
Post breakfast, start the trek. The path is an ascending one and after a one hour hike Jatoli can be seen below. Now, proceed and enjoy the hike through coniferous forests, here you can hear sounds of gushing streams which makes the hike more pleasurable.
After an ascent and a short descent, reach the wooden bridge. The terrain gets steep and 6 km ahead the valley opens up. Descent and come across a river.
Ascent for one more time and go through the forest section again. Cross the valley and see a high ridge with a river flowing on its one side. A short hike from here will lead you to Kathaliya, enjoy your overnight stay there.
Kathaliya to Baluni Top (12,513 feet) and back
Today the climb is strenuous and it starts near the shepherd hut. The passes through growth of shrubs and is not marked properly. Cross the treeline and enter a series of velvety meadows.
Further is a point, there are no trees at all but the mountain views are ravishing. Hike for 3.5 km and reach Baluni Top, get fantastic view of valleys and mountains then start the descent to Kathaliya and enjoy your overnight stay there.
Kathaliya to Maiktoli Base Camp (12,628 feet) and back
Today is the main day of Sunderdhunga trek because you will be going to the highest point of this trek. The path descents to a river, cross it and ascend gradually. The path is narrow with high ridges on both the sides.
You’ve crossed the treeline so now only the shrubs can be seen. Ascend along a river and walk over moraines. Traverse this section and get ready to traverse a more difficult section. The land is full of loose rocks and soil.
Further the terrain is covered in snow and solid ice. Beneath the wide ice field figure out a gushing river. The trek becomes treacherous and is a series of short ascents and descents.
Hike for 2 km and a wide valley welcomes you. Now, you have reached the Maiktoli Base Camp (12,628 feet). Spend good time here, celebrate the success and retrace your steps all the way to Kathaliya.
Kathaliya to Jatoli
The descent from Kathaliya to Jatoli is an easy one. Reach there and enjoy overnight stay in tents.
Jatoli to Kharkiya
Today is a picturesque downhill trek towards Sunderdhunga. From here you will get back to Loharkhet tomorrow.
Reach Kharkiya, the arrangements will be made in a lodge here.
Kharkiya to Kathgodam via Loharkhet
It is the last day of Sunderdhunga Trek, have breakfast at the lodge and head towards Loharkhet.
The vehicle will be arranged to reach Kathgodam Railway Station passing through the hilly town of Bageshwar.
Please carry the documents given below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker)
- Risk Certificates
Trekkers must bring :
- Strongly built hiking shoes, if you do not own a pair you can rent it from Sankri.
- Sandals or slippers to wear in campsite
- Thick woollen socks, it will keep your feet warm
- Daily wear socks
- Thermals are very important
- 1 shirt, it should be long sleeved
- Shirts and pants for campsite, should be warm
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- Thick gloves
- Trek pants
- Cap and Balaclava (or a scarf)
- Sun glasses
- Sun tan lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletry items
ATM Point & Mobile connectivity:-
ATM Point:The last ATM point of this trek is Kathgodam
The connectivity will be intermittent, so make sure you finish all your important work and calls before the trek.
Trekking demands a good investment and this extremely expensive activity is the passion of many, so we have a great announcement to make which will be a great relief to your pockets. Now get your Trek Gear on Rent and all you have to do is make a special renting request while booking your trek. That’s it! We have kept it simple for you.
We carry first aid kits but it’s necessary to carry a personal medical kit.
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (it cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (cures headache)
– Avomine – (prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (it treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (for sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/elastic bandage
– Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor in case you face any problem in your trek, take advice from Professional guide before taking any medicine.
– Drinking water is necessary during your trek, keep 1 litre of water bottle filled and drink it on proper interval of time, it is very important while hiking.
- Make your booking one or two months prior in advance. If you cancel the trek due to any reason, it is mandatory to notify us. Cancellation charges will only be effective from the date we get your request to cancel the trek.
- If the trek gets cancelled from our side due to natural disaster,rainfall, heavy snowfall or any other reason then the refund will not be initiated but we will arrange another trek.
(Bank charges deducted are not Refundable)
- Up to 30 Days – 90% cost is Refundable
- Between 21 to 30 Days – 50% cost is Refundable
- Less than 20 Days – No Refund
(Refund is initiated within 7-8 business days)