Explored by Shepherds
Sarutal is a hidden gem in the Himalayas because it is a serene Lake hiding amid meadows at a height of 4,200 meters in Govind Wildlife Sanctuary of Uttarkashi. Like many other treks, Sarutal was also explored by the shepherds in search of grasslands.
The Trek Gained Popularity
The base camp of Sarutal trek is Sankri. It is a famous village which is also the basecamp of more than 20 treks. During Sarutal trek, pass through the dense forests and undulating meadows, cross some narrow streams on the way and spot wealthy Flora and Fauna of the region.
You must have heard of the famous Kedarkantha trek in the Himalayas. Further, pass through the Kedarkantha summit which offers panorama views of the lofty peaks standing together in glory. Now the Kedarkantha route has become busy so people choose to go Sarutal which lies further.
Thick Forests and Unparalleled Meadows
You must be aware of Kedarkantha’s alluring forests and beautiful forest clearings, but ahead lies undulating meadows which hides this Himalayan gem “Sarutal”. Rich diversity of Flora and Fauna and a chance to spot various species is a delight on this trek and it is a great trek for the wildlife photographers.
The Astounding Views and Idyllic Setting
The Sarutal Lake is located amid meadows surrounded by high peaks. Therefore, its picturesque setting and surroundings attracts many trekkers every year.
From here get astounding views of Black Peak, Bandarpoonch, Ranglana, Swargarohini (I) (II) (III) and other snow covered mountains.
– Sarutal is moderate level trek but it has got some challenges. Moreover, the trek is mostly meadow and ridge walk which rewards you with the phenomenal views.
– Get surprised by the meadows after every forest ending.
– It remains at bull bloom in summers and becomes a snow-land in winters.
– The Sarutal trail further goes to Fachu Kandi Pass
Key Points of Sarutal Trek
Level: Moderate (this trek is good for beginners)
During the trek proper conditioning & training of body required
Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature
Shoes are the single most important equipment.
High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup.
Must read about Sarutal Trek
Sarutal Trek Fee:
Rs 15000 (Includes GST and all costs of the Trek from Dehradun to Dehradun)
Duration: 9 Days
Highest Point: (4200 m)
Best Time: May, June, Sep, Oct and Nov
Summer Temperature: (5° C to 15° C)
Winter Temperature: (-2°C to -5° C)
- Review 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level
- Group Size Large Group
Day 1– Dehradun to Sankri (1920 m) (210 km) (7/8 hours)
Day 2– Sankri to Kedarkantha base (3400 m) via Juda Ka Talab (2700 m) (8 km) (5/6 hours)
Day 3– Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha Summit (3800 m) (3.4 km) and Dunda Thach (3200 m) (7/8 hours)
Day 4– Dunda Thach to Pushtara Thach (3789 m) (11 km) (5/6 hours)
Day 5– Pushtara Thach to Sarutal (4200 m) (10 km) (5/6 hours)
Day 6– Sarutal to Pushtara Thach (3789 m) (10 km) (4/5 hours)
Day 7– Pushtara Thach to Dunda Thach (3200 m) (11 km) (4/5 hours)
Day 8– Dunda Thach to Sankri (8 km) (3/4 hours)
Day 9– Sankri to Dehradun (210 km) (7/8 hours)
✅ Transport facility from Dehradun to Dehradun
✅ Forest Permit and entrance fee
✅ Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
✅ Accommodation in Hotel Sankri
✅ All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
✅ (All camping gears)
✅ High quality tents
✅ Sleeping bags
✅ Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
✅ Dining Tent
✅ Dining Table
✅ Kitchen team
✅ Radio Walkie Talkie for Communication
✅ Good Experience Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
✅ Medical Kit
✅ Oxygen Cylinders
✅ Crampons and Gaiters
❌ Personal Insurance
❌Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
❌On first day En Route to base camp the Breakfast and Lunch are Not Included
❌Last Day En Route Lunch and Dinner are Not Included
Full payment confirms your booking
We serve three meals a day including snacks and soup. A variety of delectable and healthy food is provided which includes; Indian, Chinese and other Western meals. They are nutritious and keeps you fit and healthy on your trek.
- Day 1 Dehradun to Sankri (1920 m) (210 km) (7/8 hours)
The journey starts from Dehradun and passes through some beautiful places like Mussoorie, Damta, Naogaon, Netwar and Purola.
Enter Govind Wildlife Sanctuary of Uttarkashi and ahead get glimpses of picturesque snow covered mountains and Baraadsar range welcoming you.
Reach Sankri, it is the basecamp of Sarutal and 20 more Himalayan treks. There are few houses and a mini market with some hotels and wooden huts. This small village bustles with the presence of trekkers and attracts tourist every year.
Today, your arrangements will be made in Swargarohini hotel.
- Day 2 Sankri to Kedarkantha base (3400 m) via Juda Ka Talab (2700 m) (8 km) (5/6 hours)
Start the day young, have breakfast and get ready to move towards today’s campsite Juda Ka Talab. The trail snakes its way through dense pine forests where you can easily spot Himalayan birds and astounding Flora.
Small rivulets can be seen on the way which adds beauty to the terrain. Take rest breaks and cross the steep ascent. A clearing opens up from where you can witness high snow- capped peaks. Have lunch there then start ascending through the maple and pine forest.
After a 4/5 hours long trek come across a surprisingly exquisite clearing with a glacial Lake “Juda Ka Talab”.
Go through Baniya Thach, this picturesque trail offers great views of high Himalayan peaks. It passes through pine forests and leads to a ridge.
After crossing the ridge come across a wide meadow, halt there for a while and spot peaks surrounding Kedarkantha summit.
Start walking under the shade of Oaks to the Kedarkantha base camp. The summit is clearly visible from there with the sight of lofty mountains i.e. Black Peak, Bandarpoonch, Ranglana and Swargarohini. Setup your camps there in the serenity amidst mountains and settle for the day.
- Day 3 Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha Summit (3800 m) (3.4 km) and Dunda Thach (3200 m) (7/8 hours)
Wake up early and get rewarded with the astonishing sunrise changing the colours of lofty peaks, it is a sight worth watching.
There are multiple trails leading to the top, go through Maronda Thach, it is the biggest bugyal. Ascend gradually through Pokrola Thach and get great mountain and valley views with huge waterfalls.
The climb is steep but is equally rewarding, cross this strenuous section and reach the Kedarkantha top. Now, the high Himalayan peaks surrounds you from all sides. The panorama views of Black Peak, Bandarpoonch, Ranglana, Swargarohini (I) (II) (III) and Har Ki Dun is jaw dropping.
At the top is the presence of Lord Shiva and Ganesha’s temple, this place has mythological tales and because of religious beliefs villagers organize a fair every year.
Now, start descending to Dunda through forested sections. Enjoy stream crossing on the way and reach your campsite which is a wide meadow. Setup your camps and after having delicious food retire for the night.
- Day 4 Dunda Thach to Pushtara Thach (3789 m) (11 km) (5/6 hours)
Have breakfast and head to Pushtara Thach. On the way you will come across a temple of Lord Shiva, Parvati and Ganesha. The distance to be covered is 11 km, there are few steep sections cross them and reach your campsite.
Pushtara thach is a lavish meadow with beautiful surroundings and amazing views of Himalayan peaks. Setup your camps and after having delicious food retire for the night.
- Day 5 Pushtara Thach to Sarutal (4200 m) (10 km) (5/6 hours)
Today, the trek is a mixture of ascents and levelled walks. Cross several meadows and ridges to reach the pristine Sarutal.
Sarutal is a unique glacial lake amidst meadows in the picturesque surroundings. The Black Peak, Bandarpoonch, Ranglana, Swargarohini (I) (II) (III) are clearly visible from there.
This trail further goes to Fachu Kandi Pass. Setup your camps near Sarutal Lake, enjoy the panorama views and relax for the night.
- Day 6 Sarutal to Pushtara Thach (3789 m) (10 km) (4/5 hours)
Post breakfast, retrace your steps through meadows and ridges. Reach Pushtara Thach and retire for the night.
- Day 7 Pushtara Thach to Dunda Thach (3200 m) (11 km) (4/5 hours)
Follow the same path which you followed on Day 4. The descent is steep so walk carefully. Reach Dunda Thach in 4 to 5 hours and settle for the day.
- Day 8 Dunda Thach to Sankri (8 km) (3/4 hours)
Today is the last trekking day, go through forest cover and on the way cross small flowing streams. Further a meadow opens up.
Walk on the cemented road and reach Sankri. The trek ends here. Enjoy overnight stay in Swargarohini hotel.
- Day 9 Sankri to Dehradun (210 km) (7/8 hours)
Have breakfast and leave for Dehradun.
Please carry the documents given below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker)
- Risk Certificates
Trekkers must bring :
- Strongly built hiking shoes, if you do not own a pair you can rent it from Sankri.
- Sandals or slippers to wear in campsite
- Thick woollen socks, it will keep your feet warm
- Daily wear socks
- Thermals are very important
- 1 shirt, it should be long sleeved
- Shirts and pants for campsite, should be warm
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- Thick gloves
- Trek pants
- Cap and Balaclava (or a scarf)
- Sun glasses
- Sun tan lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletry items
ATM Point & Mobile connectivity:-
ATM POINT: Withdraw money before your journey, Purola is the last point where you will find ATM.
There are no networks during the trek, in Purola all the networks are available and in Sankri only Vodafone and BSNL signals are there but the connectivity isn’t good. So make sure you finish all your important work and calls before starting of the trek
Trekking demands a good investment and this extremely expensive activity is the passion of many, so we have a great announcement to make which will be a great relief to your pockets. Now get your Trek Gear on Rent and all you have to do is make a special renting request while booking your trek. That’s it! We have kept it simple for you.
We carry first aid kits but it’s necessary to carry a personal medical kit.
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (it cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (cures headache)
– Avomine – (prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (it treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (for sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/elastic bandage
– Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor in case you face any problem in your trek, take advice from Professional guide before taking any medicine.
– Drinking water is necessary during your trek, keep 1 litre of water bottle filled and drink it on proper interval of time, it is very important while hiking.
- Cancellation up to 30 Days: You will get Refund of 90 Precent of Trek/adventure program cost.
- Cancellation between 21 to 30 days– You will get refund of 50 Precent of Trek/Adventure/Tour/Travel/Hotel program cost.
- Cancellation in less than 20 days – No refund