Markha Valley Trek
Markha Valley is a great trek in Ladakh which is the most desired and adventurous tourist place. This is the region’s largest valley and it is also known as “Tea House Trek” because here villagers offer parachute tents accommodation.
Markha Valley Trek Fee:
Rs 20000 (Includes GST and all costs of the Trek from Leh to Leh)
Duration: 8 Days
Highest Point: (5150 m)
Best Season: June to Sep
Summer Temperature: (20°C to 30°C)
- Review 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level
- Group Size Large Group
Markha is The Largest Valley in the Region
Markha Valley is a great trek in Ladakh which is the most desired and adventurous tourist place. This is the region’s largest valley and it is also known as “Tea House Trek” because here villagers offer parachute tents accommodation. Starting point of this trek is Leh and ahead explore the central Ladakh valley.
Exploring Central Ladakh Valley
On this trek cross two high passes – Ganda La (4900 m) and Kongmaru La (5200 m). Walk along the Markha River and enjoy river crossings. Get great views of Kangyatze peak (6400 m), Zanskar range, Stok Kangri peaks.
Go through some small settlements, in these villages there are monasteries, old forts and temples. This valley has green grounds, willow trees and barren lands. Cross numerous streams on the way and get panoramic views from both the passes Ganda La and Kongmaru La.
Key Points of Markha Valley Trek
- Level is Moderate
- Proper conditioning & training of body required
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature
- Shoes are the single most important equipment.
- High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
- Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup
- Travel light
- The backpack should not exceed 10 kg.
Must read about Markha Valley Trek
Duration – 8 Days (Leh to Leh)
Best Season – June to Sep
Level – Moderate
Highest Point – (5150 m)
Weather – Nights are cold and day temperature is pleasant during the season.
Summer Temperature – (20°C to 30°C)
Starting point – Leh
Day 1– Reach Leh (3500 m)
Day 2– Acclimatization Day
Day 3– Drive from Leh to Zingchen (3400 m) and trek to Yurutse (4150 m) (4 hours)
Day 4– Yurutse (4150 m) to Ganda La (4900 m) and down to Skiu (3400 m) (7/8 hours)
Day 5– Skiu (3400 m) to Markha (3800 m) (6/7 hours)
Day 6– Markha (3800 m) to Thochuntse (4150 m) (4/5 hours)
Day 7– Thochuntse (4150 m) to Nimaling (4700 m) (4 hours)
Day 8– Nimaling (4700 m) – Kongmaru La (5200 m) – Sumdo (3800 m) (7 hours) and Drive to Leh (3500 m) (2 hours)
✅ Transport facility from Leh to Leh
✅ Forest Permit and entrance fee
✅ Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
✅ All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
✅ (All camping gears)
✅ High quality tents
✅ Sleeping bags
✅ Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
✅ Dining Tent
✅ Dining Table
✅ Kitchen team
✅ Radio Walkie Talkie for Communication
✅ Good Experience Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
✅ Medical Kit
✅ Oxygen Cylinders
✅ Crampons and Gaiters
❌ Personal Insurance
❌Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
❌On first day En Route to base camp the Breakfast and Lunch are Not Included
❌Last Day En Route Lunch and Dinner are Not Included
Full payment confirms your booking
We serve three meals a day including snacks and soup. A variety of delectable and healthy food is provided which includes; Indian, Chinese and other Western meals. They are nutritious and keeps you fit and healthy on your trek.
- Day 1 Reach Leh (3500 m)
Base Camp of Markha Valley trek is Leh. Reaching Leh by taking road route consumes a lot of time so board a flight and directly reach there. Arrangements will be made in a hotel.
- Day 2 Acclimatization Day
Trekking routes of Leh are famous because of its abundant beauty. Today is acclimatization day, go and explore the culture values and know about the people living there. Visit temples and ancient monasteries nearby.
- Day 3 Drive from Leh to Zingchen (3400 m) and trek to Yurutse (4150 m) (4 hours)
Have breakfast early, today is the first trekking day. The drive is from Leh to Zingchen through Spikut village. Markha valley trek starts from here.
The trail is easy to moderate and snakes its way through Rumbak village. Many streams lies en route, enjoy crossing them before reaching Yurutse. The campsite is surrounded by barley fields all around which looks picture perfect.
Setup your camps and retire for the night.
- Day 4 Yurutse (4150 m) to Ganda La (4900 m) and down to Skiu (3400 m) (7/8 hours)
Start the ascent to Ganda La which lies at an altitude of 4900 meters. The pass offers extraordinary views of valleys on both the side, high Himalayan Mountains and Zanskar range.
Descent to a village named Shingo and from there the trails goes through a narrow valley which leads to Skiu and the two rivers coming from Markha valley and Shingo meets here.
Setup your camps at Skiu and retire for the night.
- Day 5 Skiu (3400 m) to Markha (3800 m) (6/7 hours)
Today you will be trekking towards Markha village and the walk is going to be long and moderate. There are several streams on the way, move further by crossing them.
Markha village is a hamlet of delightful setting amid cold and barren desert. Here are green grounds, willow trees and barren lands. The campsite is beside a gushing stream. Setup your camps and retire for the night.
- Day 6 Markha (3800 m) to Thochuntse (4150 m) (4/5 hours)
Witness surpassing views today and enjoy river crossings on the way. Further on the trail are few settlements and grounds for grazing.
While your trek towards Hankar, get mesmerized by the splendid views of Kangyatze peak which is at an elevation of 6400 m.
Reach Thochuntse and select a good ground, setup your tents there and retire for the night.
- Day 7 Thochuntse (4150 m) to Nimaling (4700 m) (4 hours)
The trek is short to reach Nimaling, it is a wide valley with numerous grazing grounds and the Kangyatze peak is visible looming in the backdrop.
Be prepared for the strong winds here. Setup your tents have food and comfortably sleep in tents.
- Day 8 Nimaling (4700 m) - Kongmaru La (5200 m) - Sumdo (3800 m) (7 hours) and Drive to Leh (3500 m) (2 hours)
Post breakfast, start the sheer ascent to reach the summit of Kongmaru La perched at a height of 5200 m, it is the highest point you are going to reach on this trek.
From top spot Saser Kangri towards the North and Nun Kun towards the West. Spend some time there at the top before getting down to Sukarmo.
From Sukarmo the trail gets levelled along the river until you reach Sumdo’s road head. Get back to Leh in an arranged vehicle and spend your night in a hotel there.
Please carry the documents given below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker)
- Risk Certificates
Trekkers must bring :
- Strongly built hiking shoes, if you do not own a pair you can rent it from Sankri.
- Sandals or slippers to wear in campsite
- Thick woollen socks, it will keep your feet warm
- Daily wear socks
- Thermals are very important
- 1 shirt, it should be long sleeved
- Shirts and pants for campsite, should be warm
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- Thick gloves
- Trek pants
- Cap and Balaclava (or a scarf)
- Sun glasses
- Sun tan lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletry items
ATM Point & Mobile connectivity:-
Leh is the last ATM point.
Your device will receive signals at Leh. Ahead the connectivity becomes intermittent so make sure you finish all your important work and calls before starting of the trek.
Trekking demands a good investment and this extremely expensive activity is the passion of many, so we have a great announcement to make which will be a great relief to your pockets. Now get your Trek Gear on Rent and all you have to do is make a special renting request while booking your trek. That’s it! We have kept it simple for you.
We carry first aid kits but it’s necessary to carry a personal medical kit.
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (it cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (cures headache)
– Avomine – (prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (it treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (for sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/elastic bandage
– Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor in case you face any problem in your trek, take advice from Professional guide before taking any medicine.
– Drinking water is necessary during your trek, keep 1 litre of water bottle filled and drink it on proper interval of time, it is very important while hiking.
- Make your booking one or two months prior in advance. If you cancel the trek due to any reason, it is mandatory to notify us. Cancellation charges will only be effective from the date we get your request to cancel the trek.
- If the trek gets cancelled from our side due to natural disaster,rainfall, heavy snowfall or any other reason then the refund will not be initiated but we will arrange another trek.
(Bank charges deducted are not Refundable)
- Up to 30 Days – 90% cost is Refundable
- Between 21 to 30 Days – 50% cost is Refundable
- Less than 20 Days – No Refund
(Refund is initiated within 7-8 business days)