Kedartal is amidst the tall standing mountains all covered in snow. This is a great trek to experience close mountain views. It is the source of Kedar Ganga and it is believed that it is a contribution to Bhagirathi by Lord Shiva.
Kedartal Trek Fee:
Rs 20000 (Includes GST and all costs of the Trek from Dehradun to Dehradun)
Duration: 8 Days
Highest Point: (4912 m)
Best Season: Throughout the year
Summer Temperature: (5° C to 12° C)
- Review 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level
- Group Size Medium Group
Kedartal is the Source of River Ganga
Kedartal is in the Garhwal Himalayas at an altitude of 4912 m. It is the source of Kedar Ganga and it is believed that it is a contribution to Bhagirathi by Lord Shiva.
Get the closest view of Mountains
You will come across the Hemkund Lake, this is a holy lake Himganga flows out of it, and most of the people from different countries visit this place. Govind Singh the 10th Guru of the Sikh faith meditated on bank of this lake during the ancient times.
Not for Beginners
The trail goes through pine forest and the climb is steep, it is moderate to difficult trek as the climb is steep and there are landslide prone areas and you have to go through them, it is an adventurous trek and not recommended for beginners but adventure lovers can choose this unique glacial lake trek.
Key Points of Kedartal trek
- Level is Moderate (this trek is good for beginners)
- Proper conditioning & training of body required
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature
- Shoes are the single most important equipment.
- High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
- Travel light
- The backpack should not exceed 10 kg.
Must read about Kedartal trek
Duration – 8 Days Gangotri to Gangotri
Best Season – Throughout the year
Level – Moderate
Highest Point – (4912 m)
Trekking distance (total) – (56 km)
Weather – Nights are cold and day temperature is pleasant during the season
Summer temperature – (5°C to 12°C)
Starting point – Dehradun
Day 1– Dehradun to Gangotri (245 km) (10/12 hours)
Day 2– Gangotri to Bhoj Kharak (8 km) (5/6 hours) (12436 feet)
Day 3– Bhoj Kharak to Kedar Kharak (5 km) (4/5 hours) (14050 feet)
Day 4– Kedar Kharak to Kedar Tal (5 km) (4/5 hours) (4912 m/16115 feet)
Day 5– Rest Day, you can explore the surrounding (Thalay Sagar Base)
Day 6– Kedartal to Bhoj kharak (8 km) (5 hours)
Day 7– Bhoj Kharak to Gangotri (8 km) (3 hours)
Day 8– Back to Dehradun (245 km) (10/12 hours)
✅ Transport facility from Dehradun to Dehradun
✅ Forest Permit and entrance fee
✅ Accommodation in Hotel Gangotri
✅ Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
✅ All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
✅ (All camping gears)
✅ High quality tents
✅ Sleeping bags
✅ Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
✅ Dining Tent
✅ Dining Table
✅ Kitchen team
✅ Radio Walkie Talkie for Communication
✅ Good Experience Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
✅ Medical Kit
✅ Oxygen Cylinders
✅ Crampons and Gaiters
❌ Personal Insurance
❌Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
❌On first day En Route to base camp the Breakfast and Lunch are Not Included
❌Last Day En Route Lunch and Dinner are Not Included
Full payment confirms your booking
We serve three meals a day including snacks and soup. A variety of delectable and healthy food is provided which includes; Indian, Chinese and other Western meals. They are nutritious and keeps you fit and healthy on your trek.
- Day 1 Dehradun to Gangotri (245 km) (10/12 hours)
Our vehicle picks you up from Dehradun or Rishikesh then leaves for Uttarkashi through the route of Mussorie which take 5 to 6 hours. You can see Tehri Lake during the journey.
Drive to Gangotri along the right bank of River Ganga (Bhagirathi) in middle of the way visit Gangnani, hot spring you can take sulphur bath in it. On the way you will get the views of Great Himalayas, Harshil and alluring green forest. Check in a hotel and in the evening visit holy city Gangotri, at 7 pm attend Siromani Arti of river Ganga, as Ganga is a sacred river, it is worshipped by people.
In the evening you can explore this place on you own then dinner and overnight stay in hotel.
- Day 2 Gangotri to Bhoj Kharak (8km) (5/6 hours) (12436 feet)
From Gangotri the trail to Bhoj Kharak is through forest, you will reach that forest after crossing a bridge over Bhagirathi River. It is steep ascend to reach Bhoj Kharak, you will find rocks on the way and you might get tired because of the steep and rocky climb, so carry enough water.
You will be walking under the shade of trees in dense forest and below flows Kedar Ganga. This place has a mythological story behind it and it is said that source of Kedar Ganga is Kedartal and contribution of Lord Shiva to Bhagirathi.
Path gets leveled for some-time and again gets steep, the trail is difficult but it will be worth your efforts when you reach your destination. When you go further you will cross a mountain wall, cross this patiently, there will be a professional guide with you so will cross it without problems. Cross another mountain wall and after few minutes you will reach Bhoj Kharak campsite.
The trail is narrow and there is grass all around, so find a place to set your tents or just clear up some area. The valley is not vast so you will not get clearer or amazing views but you can enjoy the beauty of imperfections because it lies there. At night have your dinner and overnight stay in tents.
- Day 3 Bhoj Kharak to Kedar Kharak (5km) (4/5 hours) (14050 feet)
Kedar Kharak is a meadow which is not very big but has colourful blooming flowers and Mt. Bhirgupath can be seen in the back which looks extremely beautiful covered by snow.
The trail isn’t levelled but isn’t difficult, it has some ascends and descends, ascending is steep but further they get less steep, this place is rich in fauna so you can spot some animals there and also many variety of birds.
As you go higher and gain altitude you will see ice crystals, it becomes cooler when you go upwards. Today is an easy trek as compared to previous day, keep walking and you will reach Kedar Kharak, the meadow with blooming flowers.
Sunset from Kedar Kharak is captivating and looks mesmerizing from there, place your camps and enjoy these moments, it looks beautiful because the colours are changed during dusk and the sun sets behind Mt. bhrigupati. Dinner and overnight stay in tents.
- Day 4 Kedar Kharak to Kedartal (5 km) (4/5 hours) (4912 m/16115 feet)
Kedartal is a unique glacial lake at high altitude (4912 m) it has a mythological story behind it. Trek to adventurous place with interesting story behind it makes it a popular trek, Day 4 is going to be exhilarating and very exciting.
Today you are going to reach your destination, trek to Kedartal gets tough sometimes ascends gets steep with very less descends. The trail is rocky and can become dangerous so you have to be careful while walking on that trail, there are loose rocks so put every step carefully so that you do not get slipped or don’t get your ankle twisted. The land is barren and you will not find any vegetation there.
Weather is unpredictable and rain and snowfall can occur anytime so you need to be prepared for that, to reach Kedartal you have to cross a steep ridge from where you can see majestic Thalay Sagar peak which stand tall amongst all. When you cross this ridge descend down towards Lake now, this is the only descend. The temperature here gets falls and becomes too cold. Setup your tents at campsite, dinner and overnight stay in tents.
- Day 5 Rest Day Explore the surroundings (Thalay sagar base)
Kedartal is fed by Thalyasagar and other peaks. Today explore Kedartal and places around Kedartal.
Do not miss sunrise from Kedartal as it looks beautiful when the sunrays fall on the peaks making them shine. Have glance of all the peaks visible from there, it is rare to get so close view of the mountains. But, from Kedartal this is possible.
Explore today as you will descend tomorrow. Dinner and overnight stay in tents.
- Day 6 Kedartal to Bhoj Kharak (8 km) (5 hours)
Have breakfast and start your trek early, today is an descend but you need to be careful while descending down as the trail is rocky and you have to follow the same path, there are loose rocks on the way be attentive don’t get slipped.
Descending down is easy and it takes less time. Reach Bhoj Kharak, place your tents there, dinner and overnight stay in tents.
- Day 7 Bhoj Kharak to Gangotri (8 km) (3 hours)
This is the last day of your trek, from Bhoj Kharak to Gangotri is an easy descend and can be completed in three hours. When you reach Gangotri visit Gangotri temple and witness Ganga Aarti there.
Dinner and overnight stay in a hotel.
- Day 8 Gangotri - Uttarkashi – Dehradun (245 km) (10/12 hours)
After morning breakfast, Drive from Gangotri to Uttarkashi, have your lunch there and then drive to Dehradun (245 km)
Please carry the documents given below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker)
- Risk Certificates
Trekkers must bring :
- Strongly built hiking shoes, if you do not own a pair you can rent it from Sankri.
- Sandals or slippers to wear in campsite
- Thick woollen socks, it will keep your feet warm
- Daily wear socks
- Thermals are very important
- 1 shirt, it should be long sleeved
- Shirts and pants for campsite, should be warm
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- Thick gloves
- Trek pants
- Cap and Balaclava (or a scarf)
- Sun glasses
- Sun tan lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletry items
ATM Point & Mobile connectivity:-
Withdraw money before your journey, before Uttarkashi is the last point where you will find ATM.
BSNL networks will be available at Gangotri there are no other networks ahead, so make sure you finish all your important work and calls before the trek.
Trekking demands a good investment and this extremely expensive activity is the passion of many, so we have a great announcement to make which will be a great relief to your pockets. Now get your Trek Gear on Rent and all you have to do is make a special renting request while booking your trek. That’s it! We have kept it simple for you.
We carry first aid kits but it’s necessary to carry a personal medical kit.
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (it cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (cures headache)
– Avomine – (prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (it treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (for sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/elastic bandage
– Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor in case you face any problem in your trek, take advice from Professional guide before taking any medicine.
– Drinking water is necessary during your trek, keep 1 litre of water bottle filled and drink it on proper interval of time, it is very important while hiking.
- Cancellation up to 30 Days: You will get Refund of 90 Precent of Trek/adventure program cost.
- Cancellation between 21 to 30 days– You will get refund of 50 Precent of Trek/Adventure/Tour/Travel/Hotel program cost.
- Cancellation in less than 20 days – No refund