Tips for Trekkers
Things To Take On A Trek
Pack the Right things in your Bag instead of unnecessary items making your Backpack heavy. Mostly First time Trekkers commit this mistake.
So here are some Tips which will help you know about the Essentials on a Trek.
Basic Requirements (You Can Rent the Items Now)
- Backpack (40 to 60 liters)
A strongly built backpack with good support is compulsory for a trek. In case of Rainfall the bag needs to be protected so you will need Rain cover.
A good backpack is expensive so you can also rent it from Himalayan Hikers
- Sturdy Trekking Shoes
The shoes should be strong enough with good support. The people ask if sports shoes would be comfortable but it is good to bring the right trekking shoes.
- The Clothes You Should Bring On A Trek
This depends on the season you are trekking (Summers or Winters) At high altitude the temperature remains cold during summers too and the day and night temperature varies.
- Trek Pants
The jeans are never suitable for a trek so you need at least 2-3 trek pants for treks like Kedarkantha, Dayara Bugyal, Rupin Supin etc. Carry more for longer treks.
- Jacket (Padded)
Jackets are very important to carry on a trek it protects you against the chilly weather. So carry 2 jackets on a week long trek.
- Layers Of Warm Clothing
Including Jacket you should carry warm woolen layers or fleece. Carry more layers during winter season and less during summer.
The Temperature decreases at night so you may need Thermals for Night.
- T- shirts
The sunburns are very common at high altitude so carry full sleeved light t shirts which covers the neck and arms. But only bring those t shirts which dry fast.
They are needed if you are trekking on a Rainy day it will keep you dry.
Get The Trekking Gear On Rent From “Himalayan Hikers”
Trekkers Must Bring
Cap or Balaclava
Woolen and Waterproof Gloves
Socks (Woolen and Regular)
Essentials Not to Miss on a Trek
- Personal Toiletry Items
It Includes –
Toilet paper, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Sanitizer, Sunscreen (50 SPF), Moisturiser, Lip balm, Small towel, Face wash and Comb.
(Wet wipes are harmful for the environment as they are not biodegradable so do not carry them.)
(If you are carrying sanitary napkins bring them back with you in a small bag and do not dispose them in mountains.)
- Personal Medical Kit
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (Prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (It cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (Cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (Cures headache)
– Avomine – (Prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (It treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (Prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (Reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (For sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/Elastic bandage
Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor. In case you face any problem in your trek, discuss and take advice from the Professional guide.
Please Carry the Documents Given Below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, Driving License, Voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (First part should be filled by the Doctor and Second part by the Trekker)
- Risk Certificates
What You Should Not Carry on a Trek
Do not fill your Backpack with unnecessary items it only makes the bag heavy.
It should only have the items of Necessities and not different deodorants or many shades of lipstick. Do not carry excessive items which are of no use in the mountain.
Do not keep extra clothes just take what you need. Leave the extras in hotel.
If you are Trekking with your Friends or Family share the items to lighten up the weight for example carry one Medical Kit, Face wash, Toothpaste etc.
The products of same use should be strictly avoided.
Don’t carry the clothes which take too much space and take too long to dry.
Come Mentally and Physically Prepared
The foremost thing to do is come both physically and mentally prepared before stepping on mountains. It is important to come fully prepared to remove the risk factor and accidents.
Mental fitness should not be avoided at all as it keeps the body healthy. When you go to mountains there are associated challenges and thrills where you will be needing optimism and confidence to overcome these challenges. It helps in boosting your inner self and motivates you to defeat the challenging parts so it is necessary to take care of it.
Making yourself mentally fit is not difficult as running to come first but it can be attained by doing some exercises.
The Things You Can Do To Stay Fit Are –
- It builds confidence and enthusiasm in an individual which enhances one’s personality.
- Being positive in any situation helps in achieving goals.
- The best thing is you don’t need to go anywhere to get mental fitness, it can be gained by just listening to your favorite song, relaxing or by doing any activity which relaxes your mind.
- Whenever you read anything your brain is processing, it is working out and helps in visualizing the matter.
- It helps in improving your tendency to think and makes you innovative and more creative.
All these things help you stay mentally fit and when you come in mountains, it becomes easier to deal with the challenges.
To climb mountains it is a compulsion to be physically fit otherwise you will not be permitted go there because it takes a lot of efforts and strong will power to reach the top of a mountain. The fitness is beneficial for your health because and healthy body is not prone to health problems and also keeps the mind fit.
There are some activities to stay physically fit, if you haven’t started yet you can start now. It’s never too late start these from today.
- It helps you get prepared for rough terrain of mountains by increasing the walking speed and boosts stamina.
- Start with a short mile and you can increase day by day.
- It strengthen your muscles and makes them flexible. Strong muscles also improves posture.
- If you train your body couple of months ago your trek then it will become easy to climb up the mountains relaxed.
Walking and Leg Cardio
- In your trek you will be walking a long distance so start practicing early and also involve the exercises which make muscles strong.
- Exercises are cycling, squats and football.
These exercises before coming on a trek will make the journey smooth by making your body fit.