Trekking in Sikkim
Exploring the North Eastern Himalayas feels totally different than exploring the Northern Himalayas and instead of trekking in Nepal get your best experiences after trekking in Sikkim. One trek which lies in the pristine beauty of Sikkim is “Goechala trek”, located in Kanchenjunga National Park with highly rich Flora and Fauna. It is all surrounded by high mountains and lying at an elevation of 15100 feet, this spectacular trek holds perfect thrill and adventure for the trekkers.
- The entire Mt. Kanchenjunga range is visible on the Goechala Trek, it is the third highest mountain of the world. The other Himalayan peaks visible are: Kabru South, Kabru North, Kabru Dome, Freky Peak, Kumbakarana, Kangchenddzonga, Simro, Pandim, Jupono, Rathong, Sinvo, Tenzingkhang and Pandim.
Highlights of this Trek
- The trek starts from historical Yuksom town, rich in traditions and culture.
- Panorama views of Mt. Kanchenjunga ranges and other tall standing snow covered peaks.
- Rich Flora and Fauna, Rhododendrons can be seen blooming in the spring season.
- The steep trails and leveled walks are the delight for mountaineers.
Key Points of Goechala Trek
- Level: Difficult
- Proper conditioning & training of body required
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature
- Shoes are the single most important equipment.
- High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
- Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup.
- Travel light
- Bag pack should not be more than 10 kg.
Must read about Goechala Trek
Trek Fee:Rs 17000 (Includes GST and all costs of the Trek from Jalpaiguri to Jalpaiguri)
Duration: 11 Days
Summer Temperature: (12°C to 18°C) (2°C to 5°C)
Altitude: ( (15100 feet)
Best Time:March, April, May, June, Sept, Oct and Nov
- Review 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level
- Group Size Large Group
Day 1– Drive from New Jalpaiguri (NJP) to Yuksom (5700 feet) (150 km) (6/7 hours)
Day 2– Yuksom (5700 feet) to Sachen (7200 feet) (8 km) (6 hours)
Day 3– Sachen (7200 feet) to Tsokha (9700 feet) via Bakhim (8600 feet) (7 km) (5 hours)
Day 4– Tsokha (9700 feet) to Dzongari (12980 feet) via Phedang (10500 feet) (9 km) (7 hours)
Day 5– Acclimatization Day
Day 6– Dzongari (12980 feet) to Thansing (12900 feet) via Kokcharang (12000 feet) (10 km) (6 hours)
Day 7– Thansing (12900 feet) to Lamuney (13650 feet) (4 km) (3 hours)
Day 8– Lamuney (13650 feet) to Goechala (15100 feet) via Samiti Lake and descent to Thansing (12900 feet) (18 km) (13 hours)
Day 9– Thansing (12900 feet) to Tsokha (9700 feet) via Phedang (16 km) (7 hours)
Day 10– Tsokha (9700 feet) to Yuksom (5700 feet) via Bakhim and Sachen
Day 11– Yuksom (5700 feet) to New Jalpaiguri (NJP) (150 km) (8 hours)
✅ Transport facility from Jalpaiguri to Jalpaiguri
✅ Forest Permit and entrance fee
✅ Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
✅ Accommodation in Hotel Yuksom
✅ All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
✅ (All camping gears)
✅ High quality tents
✅ Sleeping bags
✅ Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
✅ Dining Tent
✅ Dining Table
✅ Kitchen team
✅ Radio Walkie Talkie for Communication
✅ Good Experience Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
✅ Medical Kit
✅ Oxygen Cylinders
✅ Crampons and Gaiters
❌ Personal Insurance
❌Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
❌On first day En Route to base camp the Breakfast and Lunch are Not Included
❌Last Day En Route Lunch and Dinner are Not Included
Full payment confirms your booking
We serve three meals a day including snacks and soup. A variety of delectable and healthy food is provided which includes; Indian, Chinese and other Western meals. They are nutritious and keeps you fit and healthy on your trek.
Drive from New Jalpaiguri (NJP) to Yuksom (5700 feet) (150 km) (6/7 hours)
Reach NJP railway station at 6:00 am, the vehicle will be arranged from there and the drive is towards Yuksom. For entry, carry passport size photographs and original ID proof. The rules foreigners are different.
Reach Yuksom; a beautiful town of Sikkim, it was once the capital and has several interesting things. There have glimpse of their rich heritage and culture. Explore this historic town in the evening and the arrangements will be made in a hotel.
Yuksom (5700 feet) to Sachen (7200 feet) (8 km) (6 hours)
Yuksom is the starting point of Goechala trek. The trail passes along the beautiful fields of Yuksom and then goes through Rathong river valley. Trek through the dense forests where sunlight enters the area irregularly.
There are some slippery sections ahead. The attraction of this trail is the “Tshushay Khola falls” they are many small waterfalls joining the Prek River. Some log huts will be visible along the way.
Reach your campsite Sachen lying at an altitude of 7200 feet, below it flows River Prek and the sounds of this gushing river can be heard. Setup your camps and retire for the night.
Sachen (7200 feet) to Tsokha (9700 feet) via Bakhim (8600 feet) (7 km) (5 hours)
Trek from Sachen to Tsokha is a steep ascent. Cross Prek River over a bridge, see the Buddhist prayer flags on the bridge, they look beautiful while they swing with the air.
After you cross this bridge, ascent through forest of Rhododendrons and Oaks. Trek through Bakhim and reach Tshoka, a malt is very famous there “Tumba” find it in the cafes there. At monastery of Tshoka, get amusing views of the whole Kanchenjunga range and Pandim.
After setting up the camps, have sumptuous food and retire for the night.
Tsokha (9700 feet) to Dzongari (12980 feet) via Phedang (10500 feet) (9 km) (7 hours)
The trail from Tsokha to Dzongari is a picturesque one, the climb is steep but if you trek in the spring season, amid forest the blooming Rhododendrons will blow your mind.
After crossing this section you reach Phedang, it is a wide forest clearing which offers excellent views of high mountains. Follow the trail and reach spectacular meadow of Dzongari which lies amid Kanchenjunga range.
Standing here and watching the rising peaks of Himalayas in every direction will fulfil your satisfaction of getting unmatched views. Setup your camp and settle for the day.
Today is the acclimatization day in Dzongari, go for a short hike today. Trek to Dzongari top and spot these peaks –
- Kabru South
- Kabru North
- Kabru Dome
- Freky Peak
Return to your camps and explore the nearby areas.
Dzongari (12980 feet) to Thansing (12900 feet) via Kokcharang (12000 feet) (10 km) (6 hours)
Do not miss to witness the sun rising from Dzongari top because the changing colour of peaks will make you stare at them, it is a one km trek. The top offers 180 degree views of Kanchenjunga peaks and Singalila ranges.
Thansing is visible from Dzongari top. Descent to reach Kokcharang and from there start the ascent to Thansing. Cross Prekchu River over a bridge and after a 2 km trek through boulder zone reach Thansing which lies at an altitude of 12900 feet.
Setup your camps wear enough to protect yourself against cold and retire for the night.
Thansing (12900 feet) to Lamuney (13650 feet) (4 km) (3 hours)
The trek from Thansing to Lamuney is an easy one on the levelled trail and it is the easiest day of Goechala trek. Go through the undulating meadows and reach the campsite in 3 hours.
Move towards Samiti Lake which lies ahead your campsite, the trail is rocky and steep. There you can spot colourful birds and mountain goats around this lake. Camping is restricted here so after spending good time there get back to Lamuney. At Lamuney retire for the night.
Lamuney (13650 feet) to Goechala (15100 feet) via Samiti Lake and descent to Thansing (12900 feet) (18 km) (13 hours)
Today is the toughest and longest day of this trek. So start early to have enough time for ascending and descending. Head towards Samiti Lake, now the steep ascent starts towards Goechala which lies at an elevation of 15100 feet.
Cross the steep climb and reach a narrow ridge, pass through it carefully because it moves through mountain sides. Witness the sunrise changing the colour of snow covered peaks, it looks bewitching.
Spot these peaks from here –
– Kabru South
– Kabru North
– Kabru Dome
– Gocha Jupono
After good time at the Goechala viewpoint, start the descent to Lamuney. Have lunch there and get down to Thansing. Settle for the day in your camps.
Thansing (12900 feet) to Tsokha (9700 feet) via Phedang (16 km) (7 hours)
Go through the forests section and the trek is mostly on flat land with some ascents and descents. The beautiful Rhododendrons on the way and sight of Mt. Pandim makes the hike pleasant.
Reach Phedang, rest here in the rich ambience for sometime. Now, descent towards Tsokha it is 5 km way from this point. Pass through the rich areas of Flora and Fauna. Do not take many breaks on the way to reach Tsokha on time.
Setup your camps there and retire for the night.
Tsokha (9700 feet) to Yuksom (5700 feet) via Bakhim and Sachen
Follow the same path from Tshoka to Yuksom, the trek is an easy one. Pass through Bakhim and Sachen. Take a short break there and continue the descent.
Now, cross some ascents and reach Yuksom. Arrangements will be made in a hotel, have delicious food and sleep comfortably.
Yuksom (5700 feet) to New Jalpaiguri (NJP) (150 km) (8 hours)
After breakfast at Yuksom and leave for New Jalpaiguri (NJP)
Please carry the documents given below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker
- Risk Certificates
Trekkers must bring :
- Strongly built hiking shoes, if you do not own a pair you can rent it from Sankri.
- Sandals or slippers to wear in campsite
- Thick woollen socks, it will keep your feet warm
- Daily wear socks
- Thermals are very important
- 1 shirt, it should be long sleeved
- Shirts and pants for campsite, should be warm
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- Thick gloves
- Trek pants
- Cap and Balaclava (or a scarf)
- Sun glasses
- Sun tan lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletry items
ATM Point & Mobile connectivity:-
ATM POINT: Jorethom before Yuksom is the last ATM point on this trek.
The signal strength will be intermittent during the trek. So make sure you finish all your important work and calls before the trek.
Trekking demands a good investment and this extremely expensive activity is the passion of many, so we have a great announcement to make which will be a great relief to your pockets. Now get your Trek Gear on Rent and all you have to do is make a special renting request while booking your trek. That’s it! We have kept it simple for you.
We carry first aid kits but it’s necessary to carry a personal medical kit.
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (it cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (cures headache)
– Avomine – (prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (it treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (for sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/elastic bandage
– Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor in case you face any problem in your trek, take advice from Professional guide before taking any medicine.
– Drinking water is necessary during your trek, keep 1 litre of water bottle filled and drink it on proper interval of time, it is very important while hiking.
- Make your booking one or two months prior in advance. If you cancel the trek due to any reason, it is mandatory to notify us. Cancellation charges will only be effective from the date we get your request to cancel the trek.
- If the trek gets cancelled from our side due to natural disaster,rainfall, heavy snowfall or any other reason then the refund will not be initiated but we will arrange another trek.
(Bank charges deducted are not Refundable)
- Up to 30 Days – 90% cost is Refundable
- Between 21 to 30 Days – 50% cost is Refundable
- Less than 20 Days – No Refund
(Refund is initiated within 7-8 business days)