Darma Valley Trek
A Picturesque Valley in Kumaon
Darma Valley Trek lies in the Pithoragarh district of Kumaon Himalayas, Uttarakhand. It is perched amid Lassi Yangti valley towards left and Kuthi Yangti valley towards east. It is one of the most scenic treks in the Himalayan region. The gradient of this trek is a bit difficult, the climbs are strenuous but can be traversed with the right trekking techniques.
The Gradient is Moderate to Difficult
Darma valley trek starts from Sobla. Pass through Dar village and head towards Duktu and Dantu; the two adjacent villages through Sela and Baling. The climbs are strenuous especially while crossing the glaciers, the gradient is moderate to difficult but the scenic vistas are rewarding.
Highlights of Darma Valley Trek
The alpine meadows of Duktu offers exotic sight of the Panchulli peaks. This Trek is famous for highly rich flora and adventures. Pass through blooming meadows, small rivulets and some quaint villages. This all together is a delight for trekkers.
Some mythological tales are related to this divine valley. According to the legends, Pandavas cooked their last meal on Panch Chuli Masiff’s five peaks before they left for heaven.
Key Points of Darma Valley Trek
- Level: Moderate to Difficult
- Proper conditioning & training of body required
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature
- Shoes are the single most important equipment.
- High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
- Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup
- Travel light
- The backpack should not exceed 10 kg.
Must Read about Darma Valley Trek
Trek Fee:Rs 45000 (Includes GST and all costs of the Trek from Kathgodam to Kathgodam)
Duration: 9 Days
Temperature: ( (10°C to 15°C))
Altitude: (4620 M)
Best Time:May, June, Sep and Oct
Level: Moderate to Difficult
- Review 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level
- Group Size Large Group
Day 1: Kathgodam to Dharchula
Day 2: Drive from Dharchula to Sobla (2 hours) and trek to Dar village (2134 m) (5 km) (3/4 hours)
Day 3: Dar to Sela (2438 m) (12 km) (5/6 hours)
Day 4: Sela to Baling (2743 m) (11 km) (5/6 hours)
Day 5: Baling to Duktu (3048 m) (6 km) (3/4 hours)
Day 6: Duktu to Panchulli glacier (4620 m) and back (8 km) (5/6 hours)
Day 7: Duktu to Nagling (2743 m) (11 km) (5/6 hours)
Day 8: Nagling to Bungling (12 km) Drive to Dharchula
Day 9: Dharchula to Kathgodam (9/10 hours)
✅ Transport facility from Kathgodam to Kathgodam
✅ Forest Permit and entrance fee
✅ Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
✅ All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
✅ (All camping gears)
✅ High quality tents
✅ Sleeping bags
✅ Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
✅ Dining Tent
✅ Dining Table
✅ Kitchen team
✅ Radio Walkie Talkie for Communication
✅ Good Experience Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
✅ Medical Kit
✅ Oxygen Cylinders
✅ Crampons and Gaiters
❌ Personal Insurance
❌Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
❌On first day En Route to base camp the Breakfast and Lunch are Not Included
❌Last Day En Route Lunch and Dinner are Not Included
Full payment confirms your booking
We serve three meals a day including snacks and soup. A variety of delectable and healthy food is provided which includes; Indian, Chinese and other Western meals. They are nutritious and keeps you fit and healthy on your trek.
Kathgodam to Dharchula (9/10 hours)
The vehicle will be arranged from Kathgodam Railway Station and the departure time is 6:30 am. The drive is through Almora via picturesque valley of Kumaon.
Cross Joulijbi, see the confluence of River Gori with Kali River which crosses at Dharchula from India to Nepal.
Drive from Dharchula to Sobla (1670 m) (2 hours) and trek to Dar village (2134 m) (5 km) (3/4 hours)
The trail now is towards north past Dharchula and Tawa Ghat. Then it diverts into a gorge; westwards, following River Dhauli Ganga till Sobla which lies at an elevation of 1670 m.
Sobla is the entry gate of idyllic Darma Valley and is the starting point of Darma Valley Trek.
Post breakfast the drive is towards Sobla, reach there in two hours and start trekking towards Dar village – today’s destination. It lies 5 km away from Sobla and can be reached in 3 to 4 hours. Pitch your tents here and retire for the night.
Dar to Sela (2438 m) (12 km) (5/6 hours)
The distance from Dar to Sela is 12 km and the gradient is easy. Pass through the hilly alpine pasturelands, see the cattle and flock of sheep grazing here.
To reach Sela go through the forest covers. The campsite is located on the outskirts of Sela. Set your camps there, wait for delicious food to be served and retire for the night.
Sela to Baling (2743 m) (11 km) (5/6 hours)
Sela to Baling is an easy trek and the trail goes up and then descends through hill sides. The altitude is gained on a moderate level today. Witness the distant views of glaciers and snow covered mountains which makes the hike scenic.
Reach Baling campsite, rest here in the tranquil charm and retire for the night.
Baling to Duktu (3048 m) (6 km) (3/4 hours)
The two adjacent villages are Duktu and Dantu, these are the last villages on Darma Valley Trek.
Get excellent views of Panchulli peaks from here. A huge meadow lies on the outskirts of Duktu which is perfect for admiring the spell binding views of Panchulli glacier with Panchulli peaks looming in the background.
Pitch your tents here and retire for the night.
Duktu to Panchulli glacier (4620 m) and back (8 km) (5/6 hours)
Today is an adventurous day to explore the Panchulli glacier. The trek starts from Duktu. The glacier extends outwards from the East of Panchulli and 4 km trek.
Walk along the Yuli River and reach this huge glacier. It offers views of sprawling meadows with birch and oak trees on the sides and Panchulli peaks standing in the background.
Duktu to Nagling (2743 m) (11 km) (5/6 hours)
Start the descent today from Duktu to Nagling. The distance is 11 km which can be covered in 5 to 6 hours, the descent is an easy one through forest covers, sprawling meadows and some pasturelands.
You can see the shepherd with their flocks on the way. Reach Nagling, setup your camps there, have delicious food and retire for the night.
Nagling to Bungling (12 km) Drive to Dharchula
Today is the last trekking day so make sure you enjoy to the fullest. Post breakfast, start the trek from Nagling to Bungling, it is a 12 km long trek.
The vehicle will be arranged from Bungling and then we will drive back to Dharchula. The arrangements will be there.
Dharchula to Kathgodam (9/10 hours)
Today the drive is from Dharchula to Kathgodam via Almora. The vehicles will be arranged. Post breakfast, leave early to reach Kathgodam on time.
Please carry the documents given below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker)
- Risk Certificates
Trekkers must bring :
- Strongly built hiking shoes, if you do not own a pair you can rent it from Sankri.
- Sandals or slippers to wear in campsite
- Thick woollen socks, it will keep your feet warm
- Daily wear socks
- Thermals are very important
- 1 shirt, it should be long sleeved
- Shirts and pants for campsite, should be warm
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- Thick gloves
- Trek pants
- Cap and Balaclava (or a scarf)
- Sun glasses
- Sun tan lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletry items
ATM Point & Mobile connectivity:-
ATM Point: The last ATM point of this trek is Kathgodam.
The connectivity will be intermittent, so make sure you finish all your important work and calls before the trek.
Trekking demands a good investment and this extremely expensive activity is the passion of many, so we have a great announcement to make which will be a great relief to your pockets. Now get your Trek Gear on Rent and all you have to do is make a special renting request while booking your trek. That’s it! We have kept it simple for you.
We carry first aid kits but it’s necessary to carry a personal medical kit.
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (it cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (cures headache)
– Avomine – (prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (it treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (for sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/elastic bandage
– Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor in case you face any problem in your trek, take advice from Professional guide before taking any medicine.
– Drinking water is necessary during your trek, keep 1 litre of water bottle filled and drink it on proper interval of time, it is very important while hiking.
- Make your booking one or two months prior in advance. If you cancel the trek due to any reason, it is mandatory to notify us. Cancellation charges will only be effective from the date we get your request to cancel the trek.
- If the trek gets cancelled from our side due to natural disaster,rainfall, heavy snowfall or any other reason then the refund will not be initiated but we will arrange another trek.
(Bank charges deducted are not Refundable)
- Up to 30 Days – 90% cost is Refundable
- Between 21 to 30 Days – 50% cost is Refundable
- Less than 20 Days – No Refund
(Refund is initiated within 7-8 business days)